Thursday, March 28, 2013

Burn Baby Burn!

Where does self motivation and the desire to achieve something, anything, come from? How do you instill it in your children, and more importantly, in yourself?

I was talking to my 9 year old son about having the 'fire' when he's on the court playing basketball. It's not just wanting to be there and wanting to win--it's about being motivated and in the moment, in the zone, to put it out there to do your best, to want to win but even if you don't, know you tried. I tell him, 'it's all about the fire'.

Fire.

Fire is necessary. It allows you to thrive, challenge yourself, pick yourself up, love people, love something. I don't want to be the type of person that can get up every day and live on auto pilot. How can you go through the routine of life and not be aware of what it is that makes you truly motivated, excited, fun?! That is a sad way to live (for me anyway).

I'm not saying I need to go jump out of an airplane or live some big adventure. I think it's more meaningful when you have the excitement from the day to day of your own life. Watching your kids play sports, being with your friends having a laugh. Fire isn't something within that has to rage like an inferno, it can be powerful even if it's still.

I don't know if it is something you can teach your children or if they will understand what it means until they are older. But you can put it out there and hope they know it's always there--you just have to (have to!) keep it burning.





No comments:

Post a Comment