Friday, September 14, 2012

Be the Blue Sky

This week I took part in a class to minimize stress and 'create' more joy in your day to day life...not something I would normally be interested in as I think a lot of that is too 'crunchy' for me, but I love that the company I work for offered it and a lot of what the class had to offer was practial information on how to deal with stress--or more importantly, how to change your attitude about stress in general.

Now I am not a patient person. I live on deadline and I almost enjoy being on task all the time. But I get it--if you have a lot going on in your life and work that doesn't feel right it becomes a chore and you lose the enjoyment of it it's time to re-set. Perspective or 'attitude' is everything.

One of the things they noted in the class was instead of looking at the seeing the sky as cloudy, to 'be the blue sky' instead. Immerse yourself in the present, blah blah blah. Yeah, I know. But it's hard to do when you don't love your work, you have bills to pay, work full time, have kids and other outside pressures. I know what they are trying to say but living in it everyday, it's not always blue sky. And for me that's ok.



I've looked at clouds from both sides now,
From up and down, and still somehow,
It's cloud illusions I recall,
I really don't know clouds, at all...
Joni Mitchell

I prefer there to be clouds sometimes, no one can live in the sunshine every day--but you have to make the effort to see or expect to see the blue in between.

I am, at the core of it all, as much as I hate to admit it, a positive, optimistic (ok not always) person about it all. I change what I can and I let go of what I can't--one of my favorite sayings is 'adapt gracefully'.

Just don't get me started on rainbows.

No comments:

Post a Comment